Friday, February 28, 2014

New Books for March ~ Part 1

Bombs Over Bikini: The World's First Nuclear Disaster by Connie Goldsmith
In 1946, as part of the Cold War arms race, the U.S. military launched a program to test nuclear bombs in the Marshall Islands of the Pacific Ocean. From 1946 until 1958, the military detonated sixty-seven nuclear bombs over the region’s Bikini and Enewetak Atolls. The twelfth bomb, called Bravo, became the world’s first nuclear disaster. It sent a toxic cloud of radiation over Rongelap Atoll and other nearby inhabited islands. 

 The Reluctant Journal of Henry K. Larsen by Susin Nielsen
It's been a year since his older brother, unable to bear a bully's relentless torment, took a gun to school and killed the boy and then himself.  Based on his therapist's recommendation, 13-year-old Henry begins to keep a journal of his experiences as he transitions to life in a new city, a new school, and in a new apartment with his dad.

Fake ID by Lamar Giles
My name isn't really Nick Pearson. I shouldn't tell you where I'm from. I shouldn't tell you why my family moved to Stepton, Virginia. I shouldn't tell you who I really am, or my hair, eye, and skin color. And I definitely shouldn't tell you about my friend Eli Cruz and the major conspiracy Eli was about to uncover when he died--right after I moved to town. About how I had to choose between solving his murder with his hot sister, Reya, and "staying low-key" like the Program has taught me. About how moving to Stepton changed my life forever. But I'm going to.

Fallout by S. A. Bodeen
Eli and his family lived in an underground shelter they called the Compound for six years. They thought they were the only survivors of a nuclear attack, but when Eli learned that it was all a twisted experiment orchestrated by his tech-visionary father, the broke the family out. His father died trying to keep them imprisoned. Now, the family must readjust to life in the real world. Their ordeal has made them so famous, they must stay in hiding--everyone from fatalists preparing for doomsday to the tabloid media wants a piece of them. Even worse, their father's former adviser continues to control the company Eli and his twin brother are the heirs of. As Eli tries to determine who the family can trust, he learns the nightmare of the Compound--and his father's experiment--might not be over.

Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge
Betrothed to the demon who rules her country and trained all her life to kill him, seventeen-year-old Nyx Triskelion must now fulfill her destiny and move to the castle to be his wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment